Summer exercise doesn’t have to leave you dehydrated and exhausted! Follow these simple suggestions before you hit the hot summer pavement:
- 10 AM to 3 PM is when the temperatures are highest. Try to avoid running during these times. Early morning workouts are not only a much cooler option, but will increase your metabolism throughout the day! Download a weather app to keep an eye on the forecast before you decide to run.
- Acclimatization is a real thing! Your body needs time to adjust to the higher temperatures, and accommodate appropriately. Lower the duration and intensity of your exercise for the first two weeks.
- Drink water or sports drinks all day long! Heat cramps can result from a decrease in electrolytes.
- Stay away from dark-colored clothing, and stick to a looser fit to better defer UV rays.
- Make sure your sunscreen is sweat-proof. It would be a waste to apply sunscreen, but sweat it off by the time you turn around the first corner.
HR Solutions would like to wish you a safe summer! For any questions about insurance in the Lakewood area, please contact us!